Headlines News :
Home » » Geek Life: Callum Povey, Editor-In-Chief

Geek Life: Callum Povey, Editor-In-Chief

Written By Tech-Beever on Tuesday 11 October 2011 | 04:02

Ever wondered how the folks at Tech Beever became the humble geeks we are? No? Well, we're going to tell you anyway.


It's hard to say where my love for all things geek started, but I guess gaming was the initial beginning.

My first home computer was a basic little thing, one I can't remember the name of, but it consisted of a monitor, keyboard and mouse; with the only running programme being Logo.


I was (a few years later) also given a TV Boy, which had a bunch (126) of old games built into the handheld device -- which still needed to be plugged into a tv, but I'd say my first 'proper' console (not including my Commodore 64 which didn't work) was an Atari ST.
I had so many great memories with the likes of James Pond, Turrican, Afterburner, Chase H.Q, Rainbow Islands and loads more brilliant games. My only real gripe, was the horrid joystick I had.

As years went on, I drifted through most consoles, a list I was pretty impressed with, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Amiga, Gameboy, Sega Master System,Super Nintendo, Sega Mega Drive II, Sega Saturn, Gameboy Colour, my first IBM PC, Playstation 1, Nintendo 64, Sega DreamCast, Playstation 2, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, PSP 3000, Playstation 3 and the many obligatory mini LCD handhelds.

But as I grew as a teen, I phased in and out of 'geek' culture, and into sports. Taking up football and athletics for my school and county, I found myself a little further from gaming and tech, and into a more "active" lifestyle.

That all changed when I got my N64 though, the console that single handedly brought me back to a true love.

Most nights became tournaments for Goldeneye and Super Smash Bros. in my kitchen with friends, and they were by far some of the funnest memories I'll ever have.

But again, I drifted away from gaming, turning my time to music, a passion I still hold dear today. Music slowly took much of my free time, from simply listening to music, to playing, writing and performing. I even auditioned for a "New Teen Act" for Universal Records, that although wasn't my particular taste (yeah, yeah, sellout), it was a great experience. By the time I'd left school and started college, I'd been in various bands and my taste in music was developing quickly, broadening my scope to a whole new level.

Again, it soon materialised that I was missing something; and gaming steadily game flooding back. I got an Xbox, and after playing the likes of Halo: Combat Evolved and The Knights of the Old Republic -- I knew I was never leaving gaming again, and to this day I never have.

Gaming has always been a release, somewhere to escape, to conquer, but it's also been a time of fond memories. I remember the Christmas my Grandfather brought me a Sega Dreamcast; and I found it months before. So, I did the obvious thing; sneak it out and take it to my friends house to play, then sneaking it back home. Then acting over-the-top-surprised come Christmas morning.
Share this post :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. techbee - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger